Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Time to Get Serious

I vowed to Stacey, my wife, that this time I was serious about losing weight. (Oh, by the way, we are doing this together)  I'm tired of my knees hurting and I don't like the way I feel or look.  There I said it.  If this doesn't work, I will have to have the surgery and I don't want to be put under.  There is my motivation - FEAR.

I am not sure, but I think I will make this my post's theme for Mondays even though I am starting this on Tuesday due to the inconvenience of the world news.  I have been battling (can you really call it a battle when there has been no real concerted effort?) my weight gain for over fifteen years now.  I have gained an average of ten pounds a year since I started teaching at the Law Magnet and I was already overweight when I began.  I remember Dr. Allread's first words when she greeted me at the interview, "you sure have put on some weight."  My only reply, "you sure have gotten grayer."  

When I was in high school and even college, I was skinny.  So skinny, my own mother called me Flaco Feo, which loosely translated into English means Ugly Skinny One.  Hispanic moms sure have a way with their loving nicknames.

I have to say I am not off to a great start with the ladies at the WW center. One of the receptionists interrupted me while I was trying to ask if one the handbooks I was receiving was available in a PDF format so I could read it on my iPad.  I think she anticipated that I was going to ask if I could buy it somewhere else.  The only person I let anticipate what I am going to say without getting irritated is Stacey.  I then sat through a decent talk about tips for eating out.  Unfortunately, I could not get past the fact the trainer was chewing gum the entire time.  Did no one ever tell her YOU DON'T CHEW GUM WHILE PUBLIC SPEAKING!

Ok, enough with the irritations.  I decided to be weighed fully clothed (shorts, t-shirt, hoody and running shoes) rather than strip down like many of the people did before me.  Although the weigh in takes place as you walk in, the tally is private.  Not that I care; I would prefer to be shamed into weight loss.  At the end of the night, I receive my newbie packet.  This morning I registered all my e-tools and began keeping tabs of what I eat.

Day One seems to be going ok.

Oh, and for that rude receptionist, you can buy the book elsewhere!

1 comment:

Frater Bovious said...

Best of Luck Don. That weight loss is not fun. St. Ignatius has a Rule for eating - it's kind of simplistic, except if you did it it would work. http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/seil/seil33.htm

And no, despite good intentions, I've never truly made the effort to follow his rules.