In the last meeting of the St. Joseph’s Covenant Keepers we discussed the commitment we have to protect our families – physically, financially, emotionally and spiritually. The conversation quickly focused on the Ancient War, the Spiritual Combat we find ourselves engaged in as the Church Militant. As the spiritual leaders of our families, we are at the frontline of this battle. What can we do to arm ourselves against the devil and his minions? I was reviewing my notes from a conference I attended last year in which Father John Corapi, SOLT, spoke on this very issues. Here are his suggested tactics and weapons to combat satan:
1. Get straight & get right with God!
2. You can be holier.
3. Nurture your relationship with Him.
4. Learn your faith. “Studying the faith is studying Jesus Christ.”
5. Pray to your Guardian Angel for protection and help.
6. Pray the Rosary – “the greatest weapon;” “prayer of the Gospel. When you pray the rosary, you pray the Gospel, the Good News, the Word made Flesh, who is Jesus”
7. Receive the Sacraments frequently
a. Frequent Communion (i.e., daily mass)
b. More frequent Reconciliation
8. Use the Sacramentals
b. Brown Scapular – like “dog tags” it identifies us as children of Mary, the Mother of God; we reflect on prayer & penance; you may grasp it to overcome the temptation
This of course is not an exhaustive list of weapons and tactics. These are simply part of "basic training" guidelines. Perhaps in a later blog I will discuss the tactics & weapons of Special Forces in Spititual Warfare.
For now, may the Lord bless you and your family and fill you with the grace necessary to do His will.